Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Grilling Time! Grilled Lemon Garlic Salmon


Grilled Lemon Garlic Salmon
Today was BEAUTIFUL. Well, at least that's what I was told. I was working all day. But when I got a chance to look out the window, it sure looked nice. Warm, sunny, bright clear blue skies. After the absolutely disgusting winter we here on the East Coast have had, I am so glad to finally have a day of spring time weather. Pretty soon, the cherry blossoms will start blooming here in DC. Very soon after that, the tourists will descend and my allergies will exile me to the indoors until I am saved by the super hero that is Claritin. But seriously I love spring and have missed it during the depths of winter. Since we finally had a nice day, that means it's time to break out the grill.

When one has a tiny kitchen, one has to figure out creative ways to cook. A tiny grill definitely helps. My parents bought us this tiny grill when my husband and I moved into this apartment. We don't have a very large porch, so we couldn't exactly fit a gigantic monstrosity that I'm sure my husband would love to have, but we do have room for our little guy. It's charcoal burning, so we don't have to worry about flammable gases, and it's portable so we can take it camping if we want. Can't ask for much more in a grill.

You can grill lots of things. Steaks, chicken, pork, pineapple, peppers, corn. I figured that most people are pretty decent at grilling hamburgers, but I don't know that many people who grill fish. Okay, so it's not exactly as "summery" or whatever as hotdogs or steaks, but I think it tastes awesome and it's good for you. Salmon is the perfect fish for the grill, and is very easy to make. Using tin foil means that your cleanup is a snap, because the skin just sticks to the foil when you pull the fish off. Roll it up and toss it and done.

This particular recipe is based on my mom's grilled salmon. She always gets fresh Copper River Salmon (the best kind, if you can find it!) grills it up with minimal spicing, and lets the flavor of the salmon speak for itself. You don't need a whole lot to make good salmon. Just make sure you get wild caught salmon. It really does taste better, and has a much nicer pink color than the farmed stuff. Don't over cook it! Dry salmon is sad salmon so make sure you check it a bunch. Cook it until it just starts to flake with a fork. Serve up with a vegetable of your choice (I like grilled bell peppers or broccoli) and enjoy with a glass of white wine.

Grilled Lemon Garlic Salmon
Serves 4 
1 wild caught salmon filet with skin on
1 tbl unsalted butter cut into small cubes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dry dill
1/2 lemon, in slices
tin foil

Light coals and allow to burn down. 

Place fish on the shiny side of the tin foil, skin side down. Do not grease the foil. Sprinkle butter cubes, minced garlic, pepper, and dill over the fish. Place lemon slices on top of the fish. Seal the foil over the top of the fish. Put the foil package the grill grate with the skin side down. Grill approximately 5 minutes.

Carefully unwrap the top of the fish and check to see if the fish flakes easily with a fork. If not done yet, grill for a while longer, but check frequently so you do not over-cook the fish. Take the fish off the grill.

Carefully remove the fish from the foil, so the meat separates and leaves the skin behind. Serve with vegetables and a glass of white wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment