Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Like Mom Used to Make: Thai Chicken Wraps

Thai chicken wrap- pre-wrap stage.

I have been married for nearly four years to a wonderful man who, in addition to putting up with me, occasionally feeding the cat, and at times vacuuming the apartment, encouraged me to start up this blog. He really is my inspiration for all of this. I started cooking because I wanted to make sure he was well fed. No, it wasn't to make him fat, although sometimes he seems to think that. When I first got married, my mother-in-law bequeathed me with my husband's favorite recipes. Although I don't make it quite the same as his mother (apparently nothing is as good as how mommy makes it, no matter how hard you try), I think I do a pretty good job.
You'll use alot of this.

You have to massage the chicken...
Thai chicken wraps are one of those things that takes up every single dish you own and makes a gigantic mess, but the leftovers will last for days.  I have yet to figure out what makes them "Thai" (maybe the peanut sauce or the very small amount of ginger?) but that's what my husband calls them, so that's apparently what they are. I would recommend making these on a Saturday or a Sunday, and using the rest for lunches for the rest of the week. They pack up pretty well in tupperware and reheating isn't too difficult in the microwave.
I wasn't kidding about the dishes.

All in all, this isn't a very complicated recipe, but it does have several parts. Start with the chicken, since that takes the longest. When you are putting together the wraps, make sure you don't overfill them, because they are likely to fall apart on you, and its embarrassing to have rice and chicken fall down your front. For storing leftovers, I recommend storing the chicken and cabbage together, but keeping the sauce and the rice separate.

Ready to serve!
To make up a wrap for lunch, construct the wrap in a tupperware, but don't wrap it up. Microwave it open for a minute or so, and wrap it up afterwards. If you wrap it up in advance, you might end up with uneven reheating, which makes the wrap not as pleasant to eat.

Thai Chicken Wraps

Chicken-
4 chicken breasts
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced

Cabbage Mix-
2 tbl vegetable oil
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated cabbage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ginger powder

Peanut sauce-
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 tbl soy sauce
4 tbl vegetable oil

Tortillas
2 cups cooked white rice

Chicken- Pat the chicken breasts dry. Combine pepper, garlic and sugar. Rub mixture all over chicken breasts. Broil chicken until done, about 8 minutes a side. Cut chicken into strips and set aside.
Cabbage mix- Heat oil in a large pan for about a minute. Add cabbage, carrots, garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for 5 minutes and set aside.
Peanut sauce- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat on medium and stir until combined.

Wraps- Heat tortillas in the microwave for about 15 seconds. For each wrap, add a small amount of rice. Add a few pieces of chicken, a spoonful of cabbage mix, and top with a generous dollop of peanut sauce. Wrap up tightly and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment